Friday, April 4, 2014

step by step

  This week went by so fast. Mrs. Miller and I figured out how to help the young girl that was devastated by the rabbit death. She is going to take the mother of the bunny that died. She seemed very pleased with that.
  Many of the things that I have found that are working are things like instructional games, having students create their own questions for review, and word webs. My students like to be involved in the instructional component of the lesson. I have used mini white boards several times and the response and participation has been really great.
  I recently started a different class. This week we began a reproduction unit. As soon as one of my students found out that we would be talking about female reproductive components she lost it. She had to remove herself  from the classroom. I inquired after the class as to what happened with her. After some investigation we uncovered that the student may have a difficult/abusive past. It was very difficult for me to adjust but we found that if she could semi remove herself from the lesson and do the work on her own time elsewhere that it worked out better. It was hard to find that out about a student. These kids have become just as much my students as Mrs. Millers.
  This week we started handling the young rabbits. it was especially nerve wracking as we have many life skills students and the task of handling becomes especially tricky. We placed carpet squares on the students desks and had them wrap the babies up in paper towels like burritos so that they could be handled. The kids have all started bonding with specific rabbits. It really is a heartwarming and slightly stressful experience.
  I also started an animal shelter supply drive with my veterinary science students. this is just beginning so more to come next week.
  This coming week i will be continuing reproduction and trying to be sensitive to my students needs. Each and every week bring new experiences and chances to learn and become better.

1 comment:

  1. Another discovery in the life of a teacher. Sometimes it is amazing that students are able to be successful based on what they have gone through in the past and what they deal with everyday.
    YES, students prefer to be actively involved in their education. One reason why I dislike power points - especially when they are over used.

    ReplyDelete