Friday, March 28, 2014

Progress no matter how great or small.

   This week was another whirl wind. One crazy thing after another that makes you think "AGain".
This week I really tried to create engaging different lessons. I had found some things that worded but I wanted to do more. This week I incorporated things like teaching aids, mini white boards, bingo, jeopardy, candy, student driven questioning games and baskets, and discussion circles. Definitely into the mini white boards. I have enough for every student, and they all can use them. You can use them for a million things too. They help to keep the students entertained, and engaged, without their computers. I notice that while student will use computers for distractions, they don't actually like using them. So I wanted to get way from them as much as possible. I have a really great independent study student that I have been working with. I have started to run ideas, and worksheets and things by her. Things like " Hey what do you think of when you see this? How do you learn? Does this worksheet look intimidating?" I think that has been beneficial because what an adult thinks is cool, may not always be cool.
 I picked up another class this week. the student were very receptive and we had a ton of fun. I am super excited to work with them  in my last few weeks. I don't have too much yet, it is like another honeymoon period so we will see next week as I get into reproduction what happens! I was able to get my lesson looked at and approved and we are going to be doing lots of activities, and learning for all. Super excited. I feel like I am finally getting it. I know it may be late. But it is a learning experience and I am learning all that I can. these kids are great, and my cooperating teacher is simply the best. I am so glad I got the chance to work with this department.
  I have been working more with the kittens as they get bigger. The student are in love. Of course where there is joy there is also sadness. We have one very large baby that we call Toad. Toad was by far the favorite of the entire department. He was the sole baby for one of the older mothers. He was fed very well need less to say. and when he sat he looked like a big old toad. He caught the eye of one of my students that has some person problems, and really just (Toad in Cameron's hand, everyone loved him) needed a friend in life. She came in two days ago and asked Mrs. Miller if she could have him for Easter. After that she was a new girl, she was socializing more, participating in class, she had found a new meaning for school. Well last night we believe one of the custodians got in the cage and may have dropped Toad. 1st period we got the little one out and everyone noticed at once that Toad had a broken back and was barely breathing. I happened to see the students face just as she realized that Toad would never come home. I have never seen something so sad or heart wrenching in my entire life. It was all I could do to keep from crying for her in the middle of class.  Student teaching is hard, your learning, adapting, doing work, balancing a life on no money, and trying to be something you always had wished to be, but nothing will ever be as hard as those moments where YOUR students have to go through something that hits them that hard. I don't think I will ever forget her face as long as I live.
 Darn those kids under your desk!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Casi. Interesting blog. Sorry about what happened to the rabbit. That can be traumatic for students. Will the girl accept another rabbit? if so, do you have one for her?

    On a different note, what worked best for you last week? What issues were you able to overcome? What would you do differently if you had the opportunity to do so?

    ReplyDelete