Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The tides are changing...

This week I focused on management.

Managing my time, my efforts, planning, and the classroom.

  Managing time. I already thought that I was managing that to the best of my ability. It felt like there was no time in the day for that. Im trying to utilize every moment without being overwhelmed. It feel like no matter how much I do there is always more.
  I worked on focusing my efforts on the big picture. I tend to get too intently focused on little things, instead of working for the overall picture. I am doing this by writing more specialized lesson plans for each class. I have two of the same class, but they may have different plans all together or modifications from class to the other. Tailor fitting each class allows me to have a better handle on the lesson.
  Planning this week I finished all my plans ahead of time. all of the lessons were done by fir day of last week, and the worksheets were completed by Monday. This way I can write in any changes or ideas. Along with that I made all of my copies during a planning period in order to alleviate some of the morning chaos, and to make sure that all my students had what they need to succeed. I created several guided notes or graphic organizers for the material. The kids seem to respond better to this type of worksheet or notes. They will participate more as well, so I made sure that I included on for most of the lessons. I also made sure that the worksheets were complete. I thought through every column and how it may be easy or difficult for them to understand and then modified accordingly. As part of my plans I have recently started using a new format for my lessons. This seems trivial but makes a hug difference. I also color code the lesson. The red is what you say, black is the category, and purple are person notes to self to ensure a good class. this also makes it easier to find the info fir the organizers.
  Managing the classroom. I am trying to develop the kill of being immersed with the students while maintaining an eye on the big picture and everyone around. The school does not have a cell phone policy so I am working with that and the students to lesson any conflict there. As the students get more comfortable with me they get more receptive to my direction. I also sit in the Large class which I do not have. I learn with the students and help out where I can with the students. Iv lean red so much about goats already just from this week.
   I had two separate lab experiences this week. The first was a basic shop experience. I had two separate classes building rabbit nest boxes from wood. The students had to work together to complete them. Many of the students were life skills. they worked really hard to try and do it correctly. i learned that small demonstrations and individual guiding kept them on the same track as the rest of the students. It was fairly slow but all in all a good experience. I handled the safety glasses things from the beginning I told my class that safety glasses were not an option and no body would enter the shop without em.
                  This week in Apple City news:
- T shirt sales and handling that in the classroom'
-Building nest boxes, can you say stressful. I don't think I could ever say enough to be careful " do not hit your partners hands"
- Introduction of baby goats into the classroom
- Meat judging with  4 students
-Rabbit babies

Next week:
Animal Care :pets and animal industry p1 and p5  UEQ: how do we care for pets?
vet science: introduction to breeds for cdes  p6 and vet skills, vaccinating goats
Independent : TBA

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that you have found a lesson format that seems to work for you! Shop and safety - inseparable.
    I am looking forward to the baby rabbits and the goats. should be a fun time and I would bet a new experience for most of your students.

    ReplyDelete