Friday, February 28, 2014

Apple City

This past week was pretty good.

Overall I think that the kids are getting to feel more comfortable with me. When I walk about the halls they all say hi like I'm a regular teacher in their lives. It is really nice to get to know them. Since this school has an entire population of half what my graduating class was I get to see and know a large percentage.
    This week I wrote a small article on the Ag Olympics an submitted it to the Gettysburg Times with a photo. It was a nice way for the kids to show the public what they were doing and that the FFA chapter worked hard to create an event for their peers.
  I started doing some observations of other teachers in my prep periods. I visited two science teachers presenting labs, two learning support classes of different types, an English teacher, and a band class. This was AMAZING. The greatest thing to see was the band. It was 8th grade. This was my first experience with that age group. Can you say eye opener!!! They were phenomenal too , I loved it. I learned a lot of great tips from observing .
  I had another observation this week. I still have a long way to go but it was better. I think any improvement  is a step in the right direction. Overall I believe that this experience is has taught me a lot and will continue to help me grow.
  This was the first full week of school with no delays or cancelations since I got here. It was tiring but went well.
  I think that the massiveness of this experience really hit me this week. You are taught to teach, and you are told that it will be a certain way when you go through student teaching.  Im not sure anything can truly prepare you for the mental toll that this can take. When you go from college to a setting where you don't see people your age and you do 4-5 hours of work a night. There is this culture shock that takes you by storm. To be an ag teacher is to be an ag teacher. There is a life style change. I've never wanted to be anything else from the first day I had an ag class in 9th grade. I think that the desire to be what you want to be can make you feel even worse when things don't go your way. This week has really been about that mental and emotional shift that happens in order to become what I desire most to be. Welcome to the learning process......

2 comments:

  1. You will eventually find your sea legs and look back at this time with humor.

    It is CRITICAL that you listen closely to Mr. Frederick and Ms. Miller. Focus on planning your daily instruction: the most important job you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting blog. YES, being an ag teacher is unlike anything else. It is indeed a life style unlike any other. A most important observation.

    I would like to see more info in your blog about what you are doing in classes and what you have learned during the week. What went well? What had to be changed? because you have two sections of animal care, you have a unique opportunity to make changes from one class to another.
    When I visit next week, I will look for even more improvement. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete