Friday, March 21, 2014

A Normal week? is that possible?

This was the closest thing to a normal week that I think we have had yet.
For once there was no snow, and no competitions.
This week I really tried to focus on creating well rounded lessons. Through some collaborative efforts of my cooperating teacher and myself we worked through some really good lessons.
I tried to create variablility in my lessons, and engage my students. I introduced a project that the students are very interested in . I had them pick an animal to share the various aspects of care on that we learn in class during instructional time.
Their interest really makes the classes flow smoothly.
  The students are also beginning to see the changes in the baby rabbits. this really excites them and engages them for learning moments. I have them keep charts on the observations that they are  making as well.
 I will starting a different class in the upcoming eek. I am excited about this class because it is all new. I have never taught about large breed farm animals so this will be pushing me to create interesting educational lessons. the nice thing about the class is that the students already know me. They are comfortable with me so the transition should be easy.
  I am also working with an independent study student to help her check on and document growth of the rabbits. she is creating a movie by taking pictures of the rabbits every day. she will then speed it up to show the growth of the rabbits. It is a super cool project and she and I are both really excited.
  There was also an advisory committee meeting this week. It was different . It was my first experience with it and it was really cool. The people that belong to the committee are so well suited for the positions. they are people in the adams county industry and they know they stuff. I was really pleased that I got to partake in that experience. I learned a lot about dynamics, and working with industry, and just good business practice.
 I ended the week with the PSU teacher seminar. This was a great professional development day. I really enjoyed doing the mock scenarios. I felt like it was the questioning component of a CDE. This kinda sparked a passion and really got me pumped about teaching. I reviewed the score cards that I was given from each component. I had great feedback and some really positive comments. I think I did really well and it was nice to accomplish that. It was also really nice to sit and talk about lesson plans. That fun and educational for sure. By offering advice to my peers i also gained a better well rounded picture of what I am doing in my class room. I think that it brought a reflection front and center.
I have many things to work on, but I am working hard. I believe I have gained so much from the time I have spent at PSU and the time in the classroom.
My goals include planning, time management, and really taking in the big picture.

1 comment:

  1. Good blog Casi. You could add more detail about individual classes for future blogs.

    ReplyDelete