Friday, March 14, 2014

Goats? rabbits? hampters? what next!!

What a week.
    I had a fair week all around. I have been working on my planning. Sometimes things don't always work out to plan but I have been doing my best to have lessons completed and materials that are associated pulled together. I think it really helped to alleviate some stress. This factor led to better lessons. It not perfect yet but with some hard work and polishing I think ill be able to get this aspect down.
   It has been a crazy past two weeks. From dissections, to goats in the classroom, to rabbit chaos, can you say crazyyyyyyy. I have managed to turn more than I could have ever dreamed into a learning experience. For example when a student completely ripped out a rabbit nail, and blood shot everywhere. I was remarkable surprised in myself at how well I handled that. I think that being in the teacher position forces you to be calm in control person. We had several still bon rabbits this week. I was charged with the task of removing two of the dead one from the pens. That was...um lovely. I did it and survived as was then able to show the students different aspects of the kittens and make it a teachable moment.
  Some days we have goats in the classroom. Those days are interesting. Teaching with what sounds like a screaming kid in the back round is challenging but is helping to teach me how to teach better and around distractions.
  This week we had a public speaking contest. I was asked by the student to give advice and coaching. The very first thing I did was record the girl on my phone giving her speech. Once she could hear herself speak and follow along she caught so many of her own errors that I didn't have to say anything which made the fixes go much smoother. Went to the competition and I though she might pass out from the nerves. So I told her if she won she could have a frosty. Talk about incentives, all was right in the world after that. She went and competed and made it to the next round. It was awesome . She came out of there so happy that she started to tear. wohoo!
  This coming week I plan to continue to work upon my planning and creating fun informative lessons.
I look forward to teaching about and learning more about the rabbits since we now have 20 in our classroom. Everyday stretches me further and teaches me more. I never was a big animal person, nor did I ever learn anything about rabbits. So this has been such a huge journey. During the dissection I had to be in that role where I gave direction and pulled out the organs. Generally in dissections I would stand back and let the other people do it. So everyday I find out more about myself and what it takes to be a teacher. working hard to get to that stellar level.




1 comment:

  1. Good blog Casi. It sure was an interesting week. Lots of new experiences.
    So now a big effort on the planning aspect of this grand experience.
    Also do no forget about the other assignments you have due at the end of student teaching.

    ReplyDelete