Sunday, March 16, 2014

Alternative assignment . the total program


I was fortunate to be placed in an agriculture program that includes every aspect of the total program. The total program includes FFA, SAE, and classroom instruction. Biglerville is a small district that allows for the agriculture teachers to get to know everyone in the high school. In one way or another, the entire population will pass through the agriculture department. I have been very lucky to experience so many great things. We have numerous SAE’s that are now being conducted on AET for the first time, we go to almost every FFA event ever heard of, and we have classrooms full of new students wanting to learn.

               My first real experience at Biglerville started with an FFA event. I was fortunate enough to go to Biglerville on a year that they were going to national convention. I went to national convention with a van full of kids that didn’t really care for me, and came home with students that acted like I’ve been their teacher for years. I have trained two floral design independent studies and a public speaker for the CDE’s so far. The kids were really receptive and they did really well, and they thanked me. That feeling of seeing how you helped is priceless, and probably some of my highest moments as a student teacher. I enjoy the FFA events and look forward to many more with these great kids.

               Next, is the classroom/lab experience. What an experience it has been too. I cannot put a number or price on what I have learned being placed at Biglerville with two very skilled and experienced teachers. I have taught regular classes that include animal science and plant sciences. They have pushed me to new limits because I really didn’t know anything about animals. Just recently I was able to conduct a lab experience for my vet science class. We dissected the internal organs of a meat rabbit. I got the organs because a student was butchering. The dissection went really well. I could have made it more structured but indeed this is a learning experience. I also had a shop experience with 70 percent life skills/learning support students. I learned that it’s not only about showing them how to peace things together and watching them, but being cognitive of their feelings and frustrations. It was a great experience I can’t believe how much I became aware of in just a few hours of instruction. I believe that I am really getting a well rounded opportunity.

               Finally the last component of the Biglerville total program, is the SAE component. Many of the students have supervised agriculture experiences. I have been a part of visits, and planning sessions. Very important aspects of SAE. I have recently been helping students get onto AET so that they may keep records on their computers. The great thing about this is that our school is 1:1 computing. I have students coming to me directly for help now which is cool. Is not really like a two teacher department and a student teacher it’s more like a three teacher department which, is fantastic. I’ve learned that you need to match the book to the kid, and then check to see what’s going on. Work with the kids closely to make suggestions and improvements on the actual book and what they are doing.

               So far I have been able to experience a little bit of everything and be immersed in the total program. I have been able to see what that really looks like. It is so much more than three circle model it a real life approach to well rounded education and nobody can deny that.



No comments:

Post a Comment