Friday, February 7, 2014

What a wonderful sonw covered world...

This week was very, well SHORT.
Monday we had a snow day. We got about 3.5" and we couldn't get anywhere. So we went for Tuesday. Tuesday was a shortened day due to a delay. Many of my students live in very rural areas that make travel after snow difficult. Tuesday I had my class finish up the last presentation left over from careers. This way I could finish all of the grading from the previous week. We started a discussion on cost and price in my landscaping class till the period was over. I asked the students what the difference was. They had no idea and then I saw an unexpected hand. The young boy in the front row that is one of my special needs children had the answer. He told the entire class very clearly what the difference was! Heck yes you go boy! I was very proud of him. we then took a few notes and before I knew it the period was over.
   Then Wednesday was wash out..or freeze out. An ice storm caused slick roads and power outages. I took that day to catch up on some school work and fill in my grades. Then came a shortened day on Thursday. In that short time I managed to cover more landscaping material symbols with my kids. they drew and labeled the symbols and then answered some questions from the chapter. In the other periods I aided Mrs.Miller with rabbit breeding. That was interesting to say the least. We put those rabbits together in the cages and the students jaws all dropped. That was mind blowing to them. New quickly spread that we were the classroom with the sex. Geeze did we hear things all day. After school I helped Mrs. Miller with some of the rabbits and she taught me some cool stuff about them that I definitely did not know. That lead me into the evening where Mr. Tindall picked me up, along with Tyler Cremeans and we all went to record book. That car ride was really cool. We got to talk about teaching and the ins and outs of the ag world. Mr. Tindall  had some great stories. It is always nice to have causal conversations about ag ed, I think you learn the most from them.
Thursday nigh was full of meeting new teachers and learning new grading skills. I don't think I have ever spent so much time looking at forms. It was crazy.
Friday was good. I got early for a breakfast at the new Ihop to make sure that I would ready and willing to grade more books. I worked with the AET books today. That was the first time that I had seen a completed book. I thought grading them was easier, but you definitely tell that people were still getting used to the system. There were a ton of odd blanks. I almost feel bad for the original SAE books it feels like they are being out moded. There's this feeling of nostalgia about them. I can remember working with my teacher on them. However I fell that there is a time and place for everything. If AET is best for the kids then its time to switch to it. Plain and simple.
This weekend I will be attending ACES. Talk about full circle. I will patrolling the halls for kids doing the same things my friends did not so long ago. Its crazy. We are taking some really great kids so I look for this to be conference for everyone involved. I am looking forward to learning more about AET. I think it will be a good knowledge base for me to have in order to help my students.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog Casi. Good observations. Glad you enjoyed the record book contest. Hope you also enjoyed ACES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casi, work on spacing your blog posts and using emphasis (bold, underline, etc) to make it easier to read your main ideas.

    Great concepts shared. Nothing more powerful than the family of the Ag Ed Profession and their willingness to share and help.

    ReplyDelete