Friday, February 14, 2014

Busy Busy Busy

WOW,
Could this week be any more busy and strapped for time?
I picked up two more classes this week. In addition to going to record book contest, and ACES.

ACES- It felt so weird to be going to this conference with students. I went there with my chapter just 5 years ago. It is crazy how time flies. I chaperoned the dance. I felt out of place because here I was watching kids and enforcing rules that I myself used to bend . I was also a part of  "courtesy corps" . I walked the halls at nigh looking for rule breakers. I was assigned to work with another teacher. We must have knocked on 20+ doors. it was crazy. I was in that teacher position handling real problems. I attended the seminars for the teachers as well. They were very informative and entertaining.  When Mr. Brammer was speaking he kept trying to get teachers to engage and no body would say anything. So I posed a question to him and engaged a conversation. I was kind of proud of myself because none of the teachers in the room said anything to him.

Landscaping- This class was rough this week. I had my first real flop lesson. I felt like I have een doing pretty well, but I guess we all have to crash and burn at some point in order to learn more. I tried twice to teach scale to my students and I just wasn't cutting it.  but we recovered with a project the following day.

Small animal care- I picked up two small animal care classes this week. These are the rabbit classes. The first period class has 9 life skills students so I had to make sure they were covered with the material so I created a guided notes for everyone and gave them a simple section to share with the class. It went well. The 5th period version of the class is much smaller and has very talkative young lady that will take the whole class from you if you don't watch her. So I placed her at the board writing down the answers to the packets as each group talked about their sections. By making her the scribe she couldn't take my class, yet she still felt important like the center of attention. Score for both parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment