Thursday, October 3, 2013

Lab 10/2 reflection

       So this lab went not according plan. I struggled with finding a demo since I wood tech/ carpentray. I got this really cool idea to show students what shims are and how to use those to show how to level projects. The idea was how to use a shim and how to use a level. I created a cardbourd box cabint made out of a shoe box, the box is unlevel because of the lid. the students would use the shims to make thbox level. They had a bubble level on top of the bix to see the change as they did it. I also used a glass of what on top the box to represent level in another more visual way. The lesson plan got blurred I think and become or appeared to become more about setting a cabinet than using tools. I really need to make sure that my lessons are concse. I alos noticed that my demo seemed to drag even though they are supposed to be engaging. was really excited about the idea of this activity that I think it over shadowed to actual purpose and content of my lesson. This was one where thinking deeply was probably a good idea. Shims are very common in home imporvent and building construction and I thought it would be good to use them in an intro class. This lesson was a completet flop but there is definantely room for improvement. I know that at my center i will be teaching saftey and demos can be a crucial part of safety. I definantly want to make sure my students are safe. to be continued..

I think in lab I fall into this lack stage where I know there is another one where I can be better. But, when teaching you get one chance in reality. The students get one chance to learn from you. You have them for only a brief moment in the timeline of their lives. What can we as educators give them in that brief precious moment. This is what I am starting to think about as I reflect on these labs.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Casi,
    First thing is I think you had a good idea and from the sounds of it, it just did not go according to plan. My advice spend more time preparing and maybe try talking yourself through the lesson prior to teaching it. I can understand your frustration, I am finding lab to be a difficult setting to teach in. I know personally, just knowing that I am being filmed makes me nervous. Which is so strange, there are so many things that I do in life that I never get nervous over. Talking in front of groups does not bother me excessively however, the filming aspect has become painful. Maybe this is just me but I wanted you to know that none of my labs have been delivered the way I anticipated them being.
    On a second note, I would encourage you to re-read your blog before posting it, several errors made it difficult to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Casi, it wasn't a complete flop! I think you were able to reveal enthusiasm, regardless of how the lesson seemed to yourself? I guess I mean to say that, as teachers, when something isn't going as planned, we must remain confident and enthusiastic in hopes that the students still gain something from it. OR we can just admit that its not going as planned and allow ourselves to seem more human/relative to the students. It's okay to mess up (especially in a lab setting with ourselves as your students ;) ) That's why we got big erasers!!! :D
    So now you know how to reflect/review the demo before doing it and make sure it meets your objectives! Good reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your idea for the demonstration was very interesting. It sounds like you tried to be engaging, and the visual addition of the glass on top was something I would not have thought of. Make sure to keep trying and growing towards your ideas about teaching. You shouldn't be too hard on yourself, especially because I feel many other people didn't have the best experience this week in lab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think I agree with your comment that "the students only get once chance to learn from you". Students occasionally like to be reminded that you are human. People make mistakes... if a lesson didn't go well all the time then you may have a problem, but one lesson going wrong will not emotionally scar them forever.....unless you light their hair on fire when you are welding, or something else unsafe happens. So long as that doesn't happen you are okay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casi, I think you had a really great idea. I think from what I hear, you learned that being excited and enthused can not overtake the need for the lesson to be structured and clearly presented. I think this is a great lesson to learn, and I am glad that we have the lab setting to learn these things in. I agree with everyone else though in saying do not be too hard on yourself. You had a really great idea, you just see now that it can be presented even better! Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casi,

    I think you may be being a little hard on yourself. While there is always room for improvement with EVERY lesson taught, I thought you presented your material well. Maybe your lesson didn't follow the exact expectations of the lab packet? I thought the lesson did a good job involving two concepts: levels and shims. The more teaching we do, the more all of us will improve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Casi, first I really liked your idea for a demo! I think that shims are something that students should know how to use, it can really help them out later when they are working on a project. Second, don't forget we all have bad days and lessons so take that big eraser and try again next time. We are all trying to do the best we can and as they say Rome was not built in a day, although we would all have liked it to be. I think you will be able to use what you learned from this lab and apply it to the next one to be better. Keep moving forward, you will surprise yourself at how much you improve each time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Casi,

    I struggled to find a good idea for this lab. I see that you thought of quite a unique one, however. Learning about shims can be useful for later projects and also is something that we have not touched on much in Dr. Ewing's class, so I think it is a good idea to expose us to it. Like I told Quinn, don't stress out too much over these lessons. They are meant to be practice and fun, so keep thinking of creative ideas and trying new things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Casi,
    Good job with your lesson this week. I like how your were able to reflect on how it went. By watching your video, yes you did seem to drag but at least you were able to sense that as well and now you are able to make things better. Good luck and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Casi,

    During the lab, I could tell that you weren't enthusiastic about what you were teaching. As a student, it sent the message of the lesson not being important. After reading your reflection, I can tell that you were able to see this and now you will be able to grow from there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Casi! I like the color of your blog and the picture you had of the shim. That is good that you tried this lesson now and ok that it was a flop, because as you mentioned, you learned how it can be improved on. You just have to keep moving forward to better teach your students for that brief time you have with them as you mentioned in your last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete