Wednesday, October 16, 2013

problem solving problems 10/16

This week in lab another flop. I worked on this lesson plan making sure it was better than the previous. I had three versions of it before I thought it was good enough. I went into lab thinking that I had it down.
        I got lost in my train of thought of trying to make sure that I evidenced the problem solving approach. even though I had a better plan than the previous ones it kind of snow balled. I think to have made this go better I should have given some background before the class started. setting up a situation would have helped me and my students with the actual problem solving method. 
         once I realized that I had messed up the enthusiasm level went down which you can clearly see. I also got a bit confused on try to use the method in a lesson to set up a unit. After Laura's quick mini reteach on the subject I finally made the connection . Learning the approach Monday and then recycling it into a lesson so fast definitely through me off. I tried to put way too much information into a lesson. It also would have lacked severe variability had I don't the entire lesson with a real class. On a higher note I think that I at least developed a better lesson plan this time even though it was too much. My next mountain to tackle is figuring out how much information to put in a lesson plan and to make them a successful one day lesson with variability. I struggle with this because there is so much for them to know.

9 comments:

  1. Hey! Well at least now you know what you can improve with! And since you said that your lesson plan was better this time anyways, you can make the changes that you didn't like in lab and there you go, a good lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I struggle with how much information to put in a lesson plan as well. I have found that sitting down and thinking about the whole unit really helps with that. Unlike lab, once we are in the classroom we will have the kids day in and day out. I think that there will be a better flow once we are out in the classroom. Deep breaths. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casi, I am in the same boat as you! Keep your chin up, it is going to click for us soon!! We are all going to be stuck in a rut at some point but we will keep getting better and keep improving! It is hard to teach in front of your peers, I think things will go a lot different once we get in front of our students and get to know them. We can gauge what they like and what they don't like and can gear the lesson more towards them! Don't give up! We got this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I think the best way we can plan out how much information to cover in each lesson is to develop our unit plans and objectives before we write each individual lesson plan in that unit. However, it is still really difficult to determine how much we can teach in a period. Also, that varies so much depending on the students' comprehension, having to slow down or speed up the information. Stay positive though!! Yes, we all have rough parts or rough labs, but think of progress as just getting a little bit better each time. There must have been SOMETHING that was improved in the lesson and capitalize on that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Casi,
    Number 1, I love the cat!! I can completely understand that feeling as well as the rest of them. I have definitely realized that successful teaching takes so much more than a good lesson plan. I am still struggling to figure out how to deliver the lessons the way I envision them in my head. Keep trying there will be light at the end of this tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all struggling with that identifying the right amount of information. The biggest thing is that each class is different. If there was a cookie cutter mold, our lives as educators would be so much easier! I view things as, not how much can I cram into the lesson, but what is the best way to teach this? If you focus more on the how, instead of the what, it may help. Props on ramping up the lesson plan though! That is a skill that is a challenge to master and its awesome that you are making steps towards that level!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think posts like this Casi are the most beneficial to all of us. I hate saying that, because it is a hardship you had to endure, but as I read it my mind was racing to what I would do if I experienced those things as well. We can all sugarcoat experiences, but we have to go through the tough times to make it easier. When you lose your thought, just grab your lesson plan, or put a student on the spot! See if they were paying attention, because that might just be enough time for you to remember the thought, while also seeing if there is student retention. Teaching lessons sometimes may not be easy, especially when you learn the information a day, an hour, or even 10 minutes before the class, but its the adaptability and flexibility you show that should be what you focus on, and not about the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just keep smiling and learning and you will get there Casi! We all will! When we realized that we strayed from the plan, we think we messed up, and the confidence goes down which brings enthusiasm down right with it. Just try and keeping moving and it will all come out great even if its not as planned. I know we all struggle with amounts of material to put in a lesson and im sure we will for a couple of years until we learn by doing it first hand time and time again. That will come with experience! Im glad you looked to the positive side and how to make a better lesson plan!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Casi,

    We all have bad weeks, just keep your head up. Being able to see what needs to be changed and what went wrong is the first step to becoming a better teacher. Just remember to not let the students see you get confused or frustrated. Always learn so that you can do better next time. Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete