Thursday, September 26, 2013

wed 9/25/13 lab reflection

This week my lab went better than the previous. I had a better lesson plan, which really helped. I created a story about plant parts. I was afraid that my activity might be better suited for a younger demographic. However, I felt that it took a high level of cognition to understand it. I also had some concerns about the content if I had kids that didn't know anything about plant roots they would have likely been lost. I know that I cant always expect the kids in my class to have prior experience. More and more ag educators find kids that have no ag background in their classes. I started this week by trying to find the best method to get my kids to truly think. I think having a relaxed setting like story time can actually promote this. this method is very good for linguistic learners. What happened while teaching was some confusion I needed to make sure that the students knew exactly what type of things they needed to pull from the story. The directions defiantly could have been clearer. I actually has to repeat them to make sure that the students got it. I think that since I was teaching college that they understood what I ment, rather than a student who would hear them and maybe be lost.  I know that it is important to conduct activities that everyone at any level can do. If I where to actually utilize this interest approach I would first need to make sure that I knew what type of learners I had in my class. Also, I would need to make sure that it would be simple enough that children with IEPs and ESl kids could participate, understand, and succeed. This activity has the potential to make some students feel like they don't understand. That is a feeling that as a teacher we want to avoid. I think as an ag teacher we have the special opportunity to really help students obtain a well rounded education. We have so many venues for learning no matter what level our students are at and no matter where they are from. Agriculture if full of special vocabulary and  all the material links together in various ways. It is important to show kids this and make learning fun and engaging. I think stories have a place in agriculture under the right circumstances and in the right class. I know that evaluating my audience is something that I have to work on as a future teacher. I think I settle into the fact that I am teaching college.

Questions to ask if this is right for the class :
 What do my students already know?
Do they have any prior knowledge?
What types of learners do I have?
Can students with special needs participate effectively?
Is this engaging?
Is it content appropriate?
Roots interest approach!

Story time

               There once was a witch name Meris tem, she had a very narrow witch like face , and was a beautiful greenish brown, which was pretty good considering see never saw daylight. She was considered the primary witch. Now Meris was nearing her zone of maturation, . As every witch at this point does, she wished very hard not be your typical ugly witch. She wanted to be the anchor, and the strength to some tall jolly green giant. But no such luck for Meris, she had little hairs sprouting out all over her face. Poor poor Meris, could it get any worse? She even had to put a cap on her tips, (witch term  for toes )because she didn’t want anyone to see her area of elongation that made tips very tiny. Good thing meris never has to  be in light!

5 comments:

  1. Casi,
    I am glad that this lab went better for you. It sounds like you had some anxiety about your activity, I too had some but I guess the one thing to keep in mind is they are not to be experts and sometimes it is better to start with a blank slate. I also feel that may be this falls into giving clear directions and photostatting students that my be struggling. Keep up the Progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casi, It sounds like your lab went better given the difference in your reflects. I always have to tell myself that I am teaching to kindergardners that way I have my lesson "dumbed" down. Each week we are going to get better. Just remember why you are doing this for the long run. Keep up the good work and remember we are all in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Casi,

    I like that you posted the questions to be asked if anyone considers an activity like this and you posted the story so we can do this! I thought your story was very engaging being a student in your classroom. Although the different parts of the root system is something I didn't learn until college, so I'm afraid your students may not get everything, However, maybe if you just tell them today we'll be learning about roots, tell me which words in my story relate to roots; they would be listening more closely to find those words, like "anchor" its a pretty common word that they may relate to roots knowing that's the topic. I think you did a great job Casi, and it was very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casi,
    I agree, it sounds like your lab went better! Your story was very creative, and I think it is a great idea to shake up your interest approaches. I completely understand that you fall into the "I'm teaching my college peers" trap. I am still struggling on the classroom management stride, because personally, it can be quite hilarious when people your own age act so much younger! Good job, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice idea for an interest approach. I find myself feeling off beat during lab since I am talking to a group of college students. I just remind myself to pretend. I actually think it is easy to pretend when they start acting like a bunch of high schooler's!

    ReplyDelete