Sunday, September 22, 2013

lab reflection from wednesday

 Overall, I think my first lab went ok. I have gone over the review sheets and the comments seem to be all in step with each other. I know I need to work on enthusiasm. this will be a challenge for me since I cant show inflection in my voice currently. I know I need to give more of an introduction as to what will be happening that day. I think was aware of the behavior issues that I had and worked with them pretty well. I did noticed that I tend to loose track of what I am saying so I need to be cognitively engaged just as my students need to be.

As my first lab I think I learned a lot. I noticed that though I may write lesson plans and have everything thought out in my mind, I don't follow it. Once I start rolling I find myself just trying to create a flow and get done. This leaves space for awkward pauses, and blank stares at my plan.
I know I need to really need to focus because kids can sense when your flustered. If I take the time to Write a lesson plan I need to use it. I need practice sticking to the plan as much as possible tpo make a conducive classroom to learning.

4 comments:

  1. Casi,

    I think your reflection positively shows that you are aware of what you want to work on for the next lab. Don't be afraid to get a little crazy in front of the students. I know you have a lot of content knowledge and passion for agriculture (especially plant science) and don't be afraid to use it! Students will be engaged more if you seem ecstatic to be there. I know I lost track of my train of thought as well. However, the more lessons we write and teach, the better we will be.

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casi,
    I like you reflection, you are very straight forward and to the point. You did a good job of hitting on all the necessary learning spots and reflected on how to improve them. Trying to keep moving forward when you aren't feeling well is hard. Big thumbs up for keeping up and trying your best hope things start to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casi,

    The peer feedback sheets we receive in lab are really helpful. I think that our peer's honest advice really helps us improve our methods.

    Giving the students an idea of what to expect on the first day was something I didn't do well either. It is a good idea to lay out the day's objectives before you begin.

    The behavioral issues were challenging to deal with at times. I am glad that this is just practice for now, but these are things that we will actually have to overcome some day.

    I did the same thing as you, I lost my train of thought several times and forgot to touch on important parts. Another thing we can continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casi,
    Being aware of your students' different behavior and how to handle them is half the battle, and you already have that won.I hope things start to look up for health wise ! In the mean time it maybe a great opportunity for you to experiment with your own brand of enthusiasm !

    ReplyDelete