Saturday, November 16, 2013

Inquiry based instruction

IBI-Inquiry Based Instruction
For this weeks lab we were to use a teaching technique called Inquiry Based Instruction. This can be a difficult strategy to implement, but students can gain a wealth of knowledge from this type of instruction.
     I chose to do my lesson on seeds. Students were to dissect seed and find the parts that we had covered in a " previous lesson". They were to see where they were located and what they really looked like. Also I tossed in a few second reminder bit on how o properly hold a scalpel to prevent injury and help the dissection process. I wanted the students to natural formulate questions and answers. my main objective a teacher was to have them go across the top row of this chart. I think the lab went pretty well this time. Again my reviews said to say things with more confidence, and to keep the enthusiasm up. Those are things I have on my radar for sure. My teacher evaluation had me in all different columns on the Inquiry chart. I think this is good because this was my first time trying it and also inquiry doesn't have to be all teacher or all student centered. I was more on the student centered side with marks in both the C&D columns. However, The students from the class felt slightly lost. this was something particularly interesting that I found.
I think inquiry is a good thing but it takes some skill and digression. I don't think that its good for everything, and its all about execution. It is definitely something that will use and continue to grow with as an ever evolving teacher.

4 comments:

  1. Casi,

    Sounds like things went pretty well! I really liked how you made sure to throw in safety reminders throughout the lab!! Safety needs to be our number one concern, I know that in an attempt to move it towards student centered we worry about giving too much information. But I believe if it is related to safety then, safety is not a hands on discovery process! Keep it up your doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casi,

    I think that including the chart in your lab was a unique and smart idea. I also liked the idea of dissecting seeds, something I have not seen before.

    Enthusiasm and confidence are things we all have to work on. Keep your chin up and keep pushing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casi,

    It sounds like this went really well for you and that you took the hole picture into account before going ahead with it. Love the idea and keep up the good work. As for the enthusiasm and the skill need for inquiry it will all come with practices and will have plenty in a few weeks in front of a real classroom .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Casi,

    I think one thing could have easily boosted the lab experience, a microscope. It was all exciting when you talked about dissecting the seed but then we popped it open, and we couldn't see anything, and without the background knowledge (That we all probably should have) we had no idea what we were suppose to be looking at or finding for that matter, however being able to put the seeds under a microscope and look much closer at the insides could have helped us a lot, and made the lab much more interesting. However you did a good job working around the fact that we weren't in your previous class when you discussed all of this, giving us the little papers to look off of was a big help, I'm sure this lesson would go better in a class with all of the information given, and next time try a microscope!

    ReplyDelete