Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day one of micro teaching

I can't even believe this was real. Like I was floating outside of my body. I have been labs all year to prepare for this snip bit in teaching time. However, I do not know if they did me direct justice they were nothing alike. And if I thought my nerves were high during lab, they were on planet mars when I arrived at central mountain. I knew that I had prepared and planned for that day but wow I felt like a melt down could occur at any moment. I signed in to the office to the office thinking o no this is really real, I walked down the hall thinking oh crap this is set in stone real. When I reached the classroom, it was like game. I used to give speeches n the ffa and I would reach this weird state of nervous calm. That is exactly what happened. I set up the computer for a video, and placed my papers in front of the room. one by one the students started to trickle in. It was time, and away I went! started off by introducing myself, and giving them a small run down of what we were going to do and why I was there. I had them read a small article to get them thinking of why woodworking was still important, and the products associated. I had them each tell me something interesting they found or did not already know. We then watched a short history channel clip on the same thing. we talked about the products and associated industries to wood. The kids asked questions which I was happy to answer, but it tossed me for a loop. I knew that I knew the answers but to come up with them right then in that moment was hard. I fumbled a few of them for sure. when each kid read or did something that I could praise them for I did. I was complimented on that by my supervisor which felt nice. I also had started to kind of loose the two boys in the back, but as soon as they drifted I caught it instantly with out thinking if I should say something I just did it. I was really proud of myself for that one. A small personal triumph for my classroom management. I really think that micro teaching went a million times better than my labs. I had several things to work on from the first day but overall it was really good and I learned a lot. It was also nice to teach my first day ever in an ag class with my ag teacher there. I really appreciated that. I had a ton of constructive feedback and felt better about how to conduct the second day. From student to teacher, what a progression.......
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Casi,

    That's such a reflective feedback! I know what you mean with the nerves, it kept getting closer, and closer, and closer and more real and more real and more real but I kept telling myself it wasn't really going to happen, and when it did I just took off like you said, and maybe you didn't learn classroom management skills, or questioning, or anything specific from our labs but surprisingly I think we did learn how to teach. We learned that when the bell rings and the students are sitting there waiting for you, you gota do something! I think the labs gave us a foundation so that we could just take off when that bell rings! I'm glad you had a pretty good experience day 1!

    ReplyDelete