Friday, January 24, 2014

The First Week! dun dun dun

Wow,
One real week down. This week was filled with so many things. First thing Monday morning the was mandated reporter training. For a new teacher I felt like this was really important. This was a new school with new rules and policies. I wanted to make sure that I knew what to do in order to make sure that all my students are safe, happy, and healthy. I also had the chance to spend some time with my teacher since it was in service. We had a really great day and she helped me out like crazy. Tuesday was great because we had a snow day. I was able to take that time to create some great lessons with tips that I had learned the previous day. Wednesday was well, interesting. We sent a pig that the students had raised and cared for off to slaughter. While at the same we brought in 15 rabbit for breeding. A typical day in the life of an ag teacher. a bit of shock for a new ag teacher. This is however, a learning process. That is something I try remind myself. Every day is chance to be a better teacher. Thursday was the end of the semester. I went with my teacher to Gettysburg to grade my first record books. Tyler Cremeans is the student teacher at Gettysburg. It was nice to know that you have someone close to get some support from. Mrs. Miller helped us both figure out what heck we were doing. I know I was thankful. Today was the first time that I had a class to myself completely. It went pretty well. I have a very small class and half of them literally, are considered Life Skills students. So I think this will be a great learning opportunity for me. This will teach me how to make a great class for everyone. Overall I would say it was a busy and a bit stressful this week, but an awesome learning experience. Feeling thankful for a cooperating teacher with so much experience.

Material covered this week:
Syllabus
Expectations
Grading
Introductions
Greenhouse
Ag careers forms
Permission slips


This photo of the apple processing factory is what the students can see out of their classroom windows. They grow the apples, the factory turn them into products that are sold across the U.S.

3 comments:

  1. Casi,
    Interesting view from the windows of the ag room!
    Is there a facility for raising livestock at Biglerville? Will the rabbits become SAE's for students?
    What class are you teaching? What approaches did you use? What will you be teaching next week?
    Did you enjoy the record book scoring? learn anything from it?
    Ron Frederick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biglerville keeps a small pen in which pigs are raised. The animals care classes take care of the pigs as part of their class. The rabbits are also a part of another animal care class. The students will be able to see the complete life cycle of the rabbits. The rabbits are not currently SAE projects. However, they have the option to become one. I have started teacher a Landscaping class. We are only in the infancy stages so there hasn't been much official teaching yet. The record book contest was very interesting I learned how to do the leadership pages. I had a lot of fun getting to talk to all of the teachers from the area. They were hilarious to say the least.

      Delete
  2. Casi, Thank you for sharing great information. I do think your LIfe Skills class will end up being very rewarding and a great opportunity to develop your instructional skills.

    Stay on top of everything! I really believe you are in a great situation with a great cooperating teachers and university supervisor.

    Foster

    ReplyDelete